Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eat those greens...

Here are some of the goodies that came out of our garden this year. We also had strawberries although not too many this year. We also had pea snaps...But they disappeared as fast as they were ready! Those are my favorite!! I was kind of disappointed that we didn't have more because it looked like we were going to have way too many. I think we had six full squares full... We attempted cauliflower, green beans, bell peppers, pumpkins, watermelon, corn and a few others. Early on we had a frost that wiped out some of the plants. We had to replant... Then we had a bad case of slugs. We didn't know that we had them for quite some time. We just thought the new plants weren't growing. One night after dark we headed out with a flash light and a container of salt... We took them by surprise! I thought we had a few here or there, but when the light hit they were everywhere. It was kind of fun... I felt like I was defending our garden against evil forces. Ha, ha. Kind of corney I know... We hit them with the salt and the top layer of skin seemed to melt off and you could see a slimy substance left behind. Part of me felt sad that we were killing these things, but they were sabotaging our veggies...

1 comment:

Trinity said...

I felt that way with squash bugs in our garden! It feels like a maternal instinct to protect what you have planted and worked so hard for!! Your veggies look great!